Thursday, January 22, 2009

A Royal Rant

Well, okay. . . . here it is running right through January of the new year 2009. What has changed? I'm not sure. I've been out of sorts which I always seem to be of one kind or another. Sometimes it's hard to clearly define.

Daughter, Becky, who just recently started dialysis at age 42 is doing great! I'm very proud of her. She chose to have peritoneal dialysis as it afforded her the time to continue home-schooling her boys.

I don't know why I didn't give peritoneal a thought. I think it just seemed foreign to me, and hemodialysis is what my sister was on. But, after being on it for almost 2 years, it is beginning to get very old.

I made it fairly good while my access was in my left arm. I could still use my right arm to do things and I did quite a bit of hand sewing. But less than a year out, my fistula quit working and I had to have one put in my right arm.

So, what are the things you can do without using your right hand/arm? Watch TV. Read. Sleep. Pray. Very sloppy crosswords. Look out the window at the parking lot. Watch the nurses and patients. Are you getting excited yet?

I've dealt with a lot of depression in my life. It's part of my personality. Sometimes it gets me down, especially in the winter months with shortened days and no sunshine. You can see how this in conjunction with dialysis could prove not to be an encouraging thing for me.

All this to say this: I'm toying with the idea of changing to peritoneal dialysis. Just thinking about not having to go to the clinic and "hook up" for 3 hours, three days a week puts a longing in my heart. I wanna stay home! I wanna play! I want my time to be "my time."

Then being the analytical person that I am, I start thinking about the reality of it. Am I disiplined enough to do the exchanges as regularly scheduled? I'm a procrastinator. Time gets away from me big time. But, I would live in the hope of being able to use a cycler while I sleep. That way my days would be free! FREE!

I'm learning now that they say that PD (peritoneal dialysis) gives the best results. More level blood work results with fewer fluid and dietary restrictions. Several professionals I've talk with says that would be their chose of treatment.

I'm analyzing it to death. What if I go through all that and it doesn't work, or I don't like it? What if I go thorough all that and can't use a cycler? What if, what if, what if? Groan . . . . ! None of this is my choice. I think that is the problem. I HAVE TO DO SOMETHING whether I want to or not. And none of the choices are "MY" choices. I'm just trying to play the cards dealt to me. Sigh! I know, I know. I'm just butting my head up against the wall. I think I just needed to vent.

Any suggestions from my adoring public? LOL Until next time . . . . .

4 comments:

Joyful Mother said...

Since you are a homebody, I think you would do very well on PD.

Have you talked to your doctor? Would he be able to tell yo if it would "work" for you? I can't imagine you not liking it but I guess it's possible. When I think of comparing it to hemo and all the needles and the sitting still for hours on end...I am almost postitive you would like it. And if you didn't? It seems like it would be worth it just to find out.

Last night I started to disconnect before clamping off and fluid started going everywhere!

Dianne Adams said...

Definitely talk to you doctor. If it's an option, I'd think it would be worth a try.

Anonymous said...

I was on PD successfully for 6 years. I only stopped because I developed a leaky hernia that couldn't be repaired for other medical reasons. While on PD I worked a full-time job, travelled to a bunch of places, and lived a better life than being on in-center hemo.

I didn't use a cycler but I have met people who have and were very pleased with it. Some downsides of PD: you do have a PD cather in your abdomen; carrying fluid in your abdominal cavity (if you have to) can be difficult until you get used to it; you must be super careful to avoid infection.

Good luck with it. I wish you well.

Unknown said...

It's a considerable option honey. The sooner you switch to PD, the sooner you'll see the results. But of course I am with the ladies' advice at consulting your doctor first. Please give us an update when you have switched, I could really use the information because my Plan of Care is HD. Good luck and take care! :)