Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Guess What?!!!!!!!!

I got a call this morning that was totally unexpected. I don't care how much you know it might happen, can happen, will someday happen, it's still surreal when it happens. No, I didn't win a sweepstake or the lottery. But, I got a call from the Vanderbilt transplant office. They said I may have a kidney!!! Let me explain.

This person was tested to see if they could be a donor for someone waiting on the transplant list. They were not a match. So the person told them they would still give their kidney and to put them in the computer. That's when they found that I was a match. And a live donor at that! I had thought I was destined for a cadaver donor if at all. I left it in God's hands. I did not know how or for what to pray for, so I left it in His hands, whether a live or cadaver donor, or stay on dialysis. I've just tried to take it all a day at a time. And then this morning, I got the surprise phone call! There is one more test before it's a sure thing. That's where they will mix some of my blood with the donor's blood.

If you have anti-human antibodies in your blood, they may react with the tissue type of a kidney donor, which means that you would not be able to receive a kidney from that donor. The antibodies in your blood would attack and damage the kidney immediately after transplantation. This is called "hyperacute rejection" which usually results in loss of the transplanted kidney. For more information check out this website: http://www.transplantexperience.com/kidney_body_faqs.php?f=o#5

This is possibly the start of a whole new journey. It, too, will have to be taken a day at a time. I'm excited, nervous, scared, anxious, ALL OF THE ABOVE! I don't know how I'll feel if it all falls through, but I know it will be okay either way. It will still be in God's hands.

2 comments:

Bob said...

Best of luck to you! I hope it all works out so that you can receive the kidney!

Anonymous said...

I'm a little behind on reading blogs, and just saw this. I hope that the fact that you haven't updated means that you are in a hospital room with a new kidney!