Sunday, October 7, 2007

My diagnosis

Due to the question asked by Jennifer, I thought it would be better to give the information as a post rather than a quick comment. I am not a person of few words. LOL I got my diagnosis 25 years ago. Two or three years earlier my sister had an episode with her potassium out of balance and got really sick. That promoted tests that discovered her PKD. She was told to alert her siblings as it was hereditary. I was tested and told I didn't have it. They did say signs of PKD usually presents itself by your mid-thirties. So I was tested again at 35 by another doctor. He said that if I didn't have it when first tested, I must have a very fast type. He did, however, say he'd like to see the X-rays if they were available. (IVP was used) I took them to him and he stuck them in his viewer. "Oh yes", he immediately said. "You had it then, see right there." And he proceeded to show me what I was looking at and it was very apparent.

Of course, there was nothing to do but wait and watch. I had no outward symptoms for several years, but high blood pressure finally showed itself. I took medication that worked fine for a number of years. Eventually it did lose its effectiveness and it took over a year before a combination was found that worked for me. During that time I had some problems that were caused by the pkd; gout, shingles (in my left palm!), one cyst bleed, things like that. Then the function started to decrease. I guess it was always decreasing but I wasn't told that. This all happened really slowly. When I got to 15-20% function they began to watch the numbers closely. They said when I reached 10% that I would have to go on dialysis.

People always ask me if I began to feel worse. The answer is no. I never could tell by my feelings that my health was any different. So it was kind of easy to ignore the facts until I had to do something. After continued urging by my nephrologist I had an AV fistula done in Sept. of 2006. I didn't go on dialysis until May of 2007, so the fistula was ready. In Dec. of 2006 I started testing at Vanderbilt Hospital for a transplant evaluation. My overall health was good and they said I'm an excellent candidate for a transplant and I'm now on the list. I have no prospects for a live donor so it may be a long wait, if at all.

Well, that's a little more than just the diagnosis so I'll stop here. I'll gladly answer any questions anyone has. Please feel free to ask anything you want to know. BTW, Jennifer, how did you find my site?

~Later

6 comments:

Joyful Mother said...

I thought Jennifer was my sister Jennifer. I did tell people about your site on my Savvy Mom blog - maybe someone from there visited?

Jennifer said...

I found your site when I was searching for info on PKD. I wanted to read how real people with it feel and not just what some doctor tells my husband is going to happen.

I think it is funny that Becky has a sister named Jennifer because my little sister is Becky.

~Da Grandma said...

Jennifer, I know what you mean. I belong to a pkd group but I can never get a real, down to earth answer to simple 'tell me the worse'-type questions. I believe in having a positive attitude, but only after I know the whole truth or at least the possibilities. I'd be happy to discuss anything you'd like to ask. I can tell you my experience. If you'd like, you can email me directly. Just let me know.

~Da Grandma

Jennifer said...

Thank you!
It would be nice to have someone to ask about things. I know that both my husband and myself have a positive attitude but I would like to know what we might expect.

~Da Grandma said...

Jennifer, You can email me at StamperAnn@gmail.com.

Thanks,
~Da Grandma!

Bob said...

Hi, Ann. I stumbled upon your site today and found it an interesting read. My wife has PKD and had a transplant 9 years ago. Thankfully, she was able to receive a transplant without ever going on dialysis, but there certainly exists a possibility that dialysis will be needed sometime in the future. I have a blog of my own where I maintain a list of PKD-related blogs and I just added your to my list (hope that's OK with you). The PKD foundation also maintains a list of PKD-related blogs which may be of interest.

I am surprised that you so definitively state that you "have no prospects for a live donor". Live kidney donations are becoming more and more prevalent and there are new approaches such as Paired Kidney Donation which provide an option in the case where someone has a willing donor who simply isn't compatable with the person in need of the kidney. I encourage you to explore all options before giving up hope.