Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Well, here we are . . . . . !

I got an appt. for 11:30 Monday. Went to the Vascular Clinic and they de-clogged my access all the way up to the shoulder! It gave him some trouble but he hoped it would work fine. My EKG did a funny little thing, changed rythmes and he wanted me to get it looked at. Said it probably wasn't anyting, and that it might be because I hadn't been dialyzed. It was too late for me to go home and then get dialized, so he called over to Saint Thomas Hospital and got me a place. So I went there to be dialized. While they were trying to get me hooked up, the access was re-clotting! So they did an emergency femoral catheter that is placed into blood vessels in the groin. It is used only when there is no other means of vascular access available and dialysis must be done immediately. Femoral catheters are only placed while the patient is in the hospital, and the catheter is typically only used once or twice at the most. *The patient must remain in bed while the catheter is in place.* (Really? No one told me to stay in bed except when they took it out!) I went walking and everything.



Tuesday morning they took me to surgery and did the subclavian catheter which they called a perma-cath. A subclavian catheter is a means of dialyzing the blood immediately after the catheter has been placed ('installed'). It is placed in the subclavian vein which lies just below the collar bone. It may be used for several weeks until a permanent vascular access is available. Subclavian catheters are covered with a dressing, which is changed with each dialysis treatment. Care must be taken to keep the catheter dressing secure, the ends sealed against the skin and the caps and clamps in place on the catheter. So, at the moment I had three accesses - left arm, right neck, and left femoral access, plus an IV port in my right arm. I told the nurse to not let them know that my right leg was free, or they would be in there wanting to stick needles in it! Tuesday afternoon they took me to have an ultra sound run on both arms. One, to see if the original fistula could still be used and if not, what were the prospects from the right arm. Tues. Mar. 18 I have to be at Saint Thomas Hospital at 6:00 AM to have a fistula installed in my right arm! I'm really disappointed because a fistula is suppose to be the cadillac of accesses. It's unusual for it to last less than two years, actually less than a year of use. If they are going to give out this fast it seems I will quickly run out of options.

Boy! Have things changed since I was last in a hospital! First of all, they had room service. You had to order all your meals. Well, I didn't know that. I couldn't eat or drink after midnight Sunday night, de-clotting, and then dialysis, etc. I did get a pack of crackers and water. After I was settled in my room that night I asked about supper. That's when I learned I had to order room service. It was close to closing time but I called and the girl said go ahead and order and she would see what she could do. I waited and waited. Finally the floor nurse brought me some raisin bran and jello. I have to say it was delicious. I was starving. I was surprised by some GOOD company Tues. night: Kathy, Jess and Jennifer and Corey and Emily. The next morning room service called and asked if I would like some breakfast. I said, "I can't eat!" and it was off to surgery. When I got through with the surgery, I slept a lot so I didn't get to eat until late, but I did get a delish pizza!I also got breakfast this morning, but just barely. No lunch , so I skipped supper too. It was time to get out of there. I had to do pre-registering before I left so that took forever and a day sitting in the waiting area. But, all things eventually come to an end and so did this. Goodbye, dear hospital.! I will see you again next week. Rats!

I've used up all my minutes on my cell phone so I've got to get more. We stopped at an all time favorite, Chick-fil-A! Yum! We finally got home around 8:30, my body guard waiting in front of the house. It was SO good to be home in my humble abode with my own personal mess. Ahhhhhh.......life is good!

3 comments:

Emily said...

breadfast? Breakfast, I believe.
"filet" is spelled with 2 l's. Just thought I would let you know. Now we are even.

~Da Grandma said...

Chick-fil-A is the correct spelling, dear one. We were both wrong!

Dianne Adams said...

I'll be thinking about you tomorrow!