Monday, May 19, 2008


Another Monday come and gone. And would you believe it? Not one single iota of problems today. Everything went smooth as silk. I don't remember if I've posted it or not about me not using clamps any more. That whole first year, I was clamped and taped and bled, and with no avail. After deciding I didn't have much to lose, I started trying other stuff. Holding the site til the bleeding stopped and then watched carefully as I released the pressure to make sure it didn't start again. It did just fine. At first I was peeling the tape off as soon as I got home. Then it was using minimal taping. Now I leave with a bandaid. It has never started bleeding since I've been doing this, but I do watch it pretty carefully just so it doesn't decide to mess me up. I just think my veins and tissues are loose and can roll around a lot, but to do so is easy to dislodge any healing clot that has formed there. I will be so glad when I get this catheter out.

~Later

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the nurses at our dialysis unit frowned on clamping. There's a move on in the professional dialysis community to stop using clamps, as there is proof that they damage the fistula (aneurysms and stenosis).

~Da Grandma said...

Why is the professional dialysis community so slow in educating the public (patients) and practicing what they know?

Anonymous said...

They are promoting this at various conferences, but I guess that not everyone has the opportunity to go to them (although at the dialysis unit I went to, the National Kidney Foundation paid for the nurses to go to conferences).