Monday, May 12, 2008

Today didn't go so well. There was pain at the site just about the whole time. Finally it blew (infiltrated). I felt something on my arm and looked down to discover it was bleeding. Although I had an hour left on my time, they opted to take me off. Fortunately I did not have much excess fluid to begin with and I was almost at my dry weight already. It made a little knot and bruised some more. I can't help but be a little discouraged. I had hoped the new fistula was going to be the answer to the problems I've had. Looks like problems are just a fact whatever I do. This new arm sure is tender and more sensitive than my left one ever was. ouchie!

Any and all prayers gratefully accepted.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom, I'm so sorry. I don't know what you are going through but I think I *might* understand some of the frustration (I'm up at 2am with intense pain in my foot, gout is back). I love you a lot and am praying.

Anonymous said...

A fistula infiltrate is NOT fun; I had 3 of them when I was on dialysis. Ironically, 2 occurred several hours into the treatment. I bruise easily, and my whole upper arm would be covered with bruising.

I found that applying heat helped with the pain and to resolve the hematoma from the infiltrate.

~Da Grandma said...

That's odd. They told me to put ice on it. I'll try the heat if/when it happens again. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Actually, ice is good to start, but then after a day or so, I applied heat 2-3 times per day. The ice numbs the area and decreases the pain, and the heat allows for the blood that's leaked into the tissues to be reabsorbed more quickly.

~Da Grandma said...

Thanks for that bit of info. I'm trying it now.