Friday, May 16, 2008

Friday again

Here another weekend faces me, another week gone. Had to be stuck three times today. Couldn't get the top needle to work, even after jabbing it around to try and get it to work. I'm wondering about the little dr. that makes rounds. It's probably just me, but he's lacking in something. It could be a bedside manner. I went to Nashville to have the new access put in. I figured he was the one to release me to use it. But, this little dr. was just going to start using it himself because he thought it sounded okay. He was talking to the nurse more than me and I couldn't hear it all, but asked the nurse and she told me. I told her that when I had the other one done, the insurance people told me that I had to be released by the surgeon. She said if he asked about it I could just tell him why I had refused to use it. No problem. Today, he came in and saw I was using the new access and was all excited. Asked how long I'd been using it and I said 2 weeks. Welllll......., let's get this catheter out then. While I'm stuttering around, the nurse told him I'd been having trouble with the access. So that deterred him. It's not that I don't think he's qualified. He's basically very nice. He just seems to think I don't need to be consulted about what he's going to do. What should I do?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Since it's YOUR fistula, I think it's totally reasonable for you to be consulted; after all, it's YOUR lifeline.

I don't have much time or respect for doctors that do things without telling or consulting me. Not that I expect them to let me make all of the decisions, but I expect an explanation, and 999 times out of 1000, I'll go along with it.

Although not an issue of not being consulted, there was a situation that got me a little steamed. 2 weeks ago, I was in dialysis the day I got my transplant (before the surgery). This guy with a tie came up to my chair and started asking me questions (how are you feeling? any fever? etc). I finally said "Who are you" (just like that). It turns out he was the Nephrologist on call, whom I never met. It turns out that he "followed me" while I was in the hospital for 5 days, and yet I only saw him twice; once he asked me about 5 questions, and the other time he asked me 1 question, but never showed his face enough for me to even talk to him much. Unfortunately, I have an appointment with him on Monday (he was the only one available). I made it clear that I would ONLY see him if no one else was available. I have no time for doctors who have no time for me.